Wednesday, February 13, 2019

QUEST Meeting Cancelled Feb 13th,2019, resumes Feb 20th.

Hilda Thomas

3:27 PM (14 minutes ago)
to CharleneDennisFrHildaJimmeKenLindaLindaMargitmarieNancyNancyReverendSheliaTeresaTomVicky
Dear Quest Family,

I ventured out for a little bit. It is not that cold but quite messy, slushy out. With the safety of everyone in mind, I decided to cancel tonight. I had two other programs during the day today and they were both cancelled. Stay warm and stay dry. We'll be connected in our Readings tonight.

Please let me know you saw this so we can call others who did not see.

Peace,
Hilda

Vicky Chen

10:18 AM (20 minutes ago)
to CharleneDennisHildaThomasFrJimKenNancyLindaMargitLindaMartinMrsTomMrsSheila&GeorgeTeresame
Dear friends,

    This freezing rain, icy condition will continue through the evening till tomorrow morning...........  Dennis and I have decided we will cancel the meeting this evening.

    Some of you have expressed concern about my proposed approach to cultivate better listening to the Word. As a late comer to this group, I have no idea that the primary purpose of this meeting is supposed to be for Bible Study. However, the two is not mutually exclusive. What I have proposed have two effects on myself - 1. I really want to read the readings before the meeting - umm, now I can relate to the psyche of Adam and Eve. 2. As a facilitator (or what you refer to as a leader), getting into a meeting like this is like jumping into the sea walking towards Christ. Well, I see the temptation of trusting in my own ability and my resources at hand - than truly giving the Holy Spirit a chance to work on a relatively blank canvas. 

    We can still go through this exercise on our own at home. I would suggest skipping the introduction first so that you are not affected by someone else' reflection. Go through each reading very slowly, more than once or twice if necessary. See if there is any message or word that hit you. If not, be gentle on yourself, go to the next reading. If there is something that you particularly feel drawn to at this point in time, pause prayerfully (i.e. just be aware that Jesus is next to you) and search honestly - "Why does this hit me?" Listen to your heart. It often has something to do with our past or very recent experience. Whatever it is, how will this realization affect my future action?? Thank your Friend for the discovery. Please do not skip reading the psalm. After all the readings, feel free to read the introduction and see the interpretation of the author regarding the readings. If nothing seems to come to you, give thanks. Sometimes it feels like Jesus has fallen asleep in the storm. :-)  Finally, if you like, open you big study Bible and look through the foot notes or side reference - or some other resources.

    Stay safe. Tread carefully on the ice if you have to go out.

    By the way, that free little booklet of Fr. Scott Lewis is excellent, compact and easy to understand but sprinkled with reference to the Hebrew Text. It takes an experienced teacher to sum up and present something profound in a simple fashion. 

    I tried to type out Ken's prayers for the group but something else came to me..................so here they are if you wish to use them.

In Communion,

Vicky

Quest Meeting Feb 6 2019 
Opening Prayer – Come, Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of those gathered here. Kindle in us the fire of your divine wisdom, knowledge and love. Help us appreciate that the Scriptures, in addition to Sacraments and teachings of our Church, are always part of our lives. Open our minds and hearts as we listen, ponder and share your words. Lead us to discover your great love for us through the Bible. Amen.
Closing Prayer – Lord, we are grateful for your presence among us this evening. Be with us as we strive to listen to you more clearly, love you more dearly and follow you more nearly. Help us to love as you love and to spread your Good News by our lives to those we meet along this earthly journey. Amen.
  


On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 9:06 AM Vicky Chen <siuming.chen@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear friends,

   I am wondering whether our group would like to try this out for the upcoming meeting this Wednesday evening.

   Bishop Crosby has invited us to pay special attention to listen to the Scripture this year. Fr. Martin's quotation from the song 'Sound of Silence' also stays with me. "People talking without speaking; hearing without listening." 

   Hearing is a biological function but listening is a choice of will, just as sight is different from seeing. How can we listen better? Personally I know if I have a preconceived idea or some preoccupation, a second 'conversation' will be bubbling up inside me as someone else is speaking. How can I 'hollow' my mind to listen better?

   Well, this is what I would like to try - I am not going to bring any reference material, I will not even read around the topic ahead of Wednesday. Being a layperson - this is a freedom that I can enjoy. I have never come to any of the meetings intending to teach some points. Each of us will listen and perceive differently because of our personal experience...... We can come to the meeting almost empty-handed. (And yes, we will use Ken's prayers.)  This is why I didn't want to be the leader, but only a facilitator - so that we can find God together as a group. 

   Now this is only an invitation, a one-time experiment. I don't even know if it will work. Do whatever you feel more comfortable. Let's try to listen better.

Gratefully,

Vicky

No comments:

Post a Comment